We are located in the Santa Cruz Mountains, among the beautiful Redwoods at 13005 Pine Street in the town of Boulder Creek. We invite you to come and join us in our Eucharistic celebrations where the message of Jesus is alive and proclaimed through our worship, education, and service to others.

 

HISTORY OF ST. MICHAEL’S CHURCH

Early History of Catholicism in Boulder Creek

In the 1890s the Catholics of Boulder Creek, California, met in homes with Reverend Father Michael A. McKey, S.J., who resided in Santa Clara, CA. On weekends, Fr. McKey would travel by train to Boulder Creek to celebrate Mass and provide Sacraments in the homes of the early congregation before the first Catholic Church was built in Boulder Creek.

The property where the church stands today was originally owned by Samuel H. Rambo, logger, businessman, Santa Cruz County Supervisor, State Senator, and the Head of Big Basin Park before it was to become the first California State Park. In 1897, two adjacent property lots were donated by a prominent Boulder Creek businessman, Henry Lewis Middleton, to provide the site for St. Michael’s Catholic Church.  According to Boulder Creek’s early newspaper, The Mountain Echo, dated December 25, 1897,

“Lots upon which to build a new Catholic Church have been donated by one of our leading business men and the work of building the same will probably begin some time next month. The new church will be located on the hill in the vicinity of the school house. Some $1,200 has been subscribed towards its erection.”

In May of 1899, it was decided that the new Catholic Church in Boulder Creek would be called St. Michael’s after the Archangel Michael, the guardian of the Catholic Church and the supreme enemy of Satan and his minions of fallen angels.

The Building of St. Michael’s Church
   
In mid-November of 1899, work was commenced by a carpenter, Mr. Potts, building the new church structure just south of S. H. Rambo’s brother-in-law’s residence.

“Located on the west side of Pine Street on a lot one hundred feet square adjoining and next south of A.H. Stagg’s residence on Knob Hill. It is to be of Gothia (sic) style of architecture and will be a handsome structure. About thirty thousand feet of lumber will be used in its construction and its total cost complete will be about $2,500.00.” – The Mountain Echo, November 18, 1899

By the second week, the foundations and floor joists were laid and the nave measured 28 by 55 feet with a sacristy in the rear measuring 16 by 18 feet. By February of 1900, G. E. Fail and Frank D. Fumagelli of Los Gatos began painting the new church building. St. Michael’s Church was officially dedicated in 1901 with Most Reverend William Riordan, the second Archbishop of San Francisco officiating. In 1904, H. L. Middleton donated an altar to the new church.

Early Years of St. Michael’s Church

On April 14, 1906, the Mountain Echo reported that two new statues were acquired for the new sanctuary:

building Own or work here? Claim Now! Claim Now!
image